Friday 27 January 2012

Green Cardamom

I once read that there is a history of adding cardamom to coffee in the Arab world. Traditionally, a few pods would be added to the grounds to spice up the usual brew. I'd never cooked with it before, so I didn't really know how it would taste or smell. I've definitely tasted it before, but I couldn't tell you where. In chocolate maybe, or in Indian food? The experiment begins with a mortar & pestle.



Just a small pinch is all that is needed to really change the taste of the espresso shot. The cardamom subtly scents and blends seamlessly into the body without competing with it. Very complimentary. The syrupy bottom third I found a little strong, so maybe a smaller pinch next time. Just goes to show how assertive a spice this really is. Overall, the infusion lent a clean, crisp, almost lemony taste that was quite enjoyable. I can see why

Roll a sip around on your tongue and it coats nicely. The cardamom adds another layer of complexity similar to that of nutmeg, but more insistent. It plays little spoon to the coffee on the palate. A taste reminiscent of ginger  compliments the blueberry notes of the Ethiopian Sidamo surprisingly well. The two notes toss a ball back and forth across your tongue for a few moments before they settle down . Wow! Enamoured as I am with this coffee bean, I couldn't ask for a better cup. This flavour has broached the top three of all those we've tried in my books.

No comments: