Monday 30 January 2012

Stacked Brunch

I'm not quite sure what to call this. Maybe you can help me out in the comments. It is my take on eggs florentine but without the poached egg, spinach, hollandaise sauce, or english muffin. Instead, I used portabella mushrooms, tomatoes, parmesan cheese, and a broiled egg.

2 portabella mushroom caps
2 eggs
1 small vine tomato, thickly sliced
1/4C parmesan, grated
2 pieces rye toast

Preheat oven to 400F. In an oiled pan, roast the mushroom caps for a few minutes while you prepare the other ingredients. When slightly softened, remove from the oven. Crack the eggs into the mushroom caps, top with salt, pepper, and cheese. Add sliced tomatoes to the pan.



Broil until cheese browns. Remove tomatoes to cover toast. Top with mushroom caps, serve immediately, eat and enjoy.


This was pretty delicious. The mushrooms had that perfect fleshy feel to them without being mushy or rubbery and the tomatoes were juicy. The parmesan was, well, you can always use a little more parmesan. The yolk was still a bit runny, though I would have liked it a bit more so. This would work better on an english muffin, but I enjoyed the earthy caraway rye bread. Tell me you don't want to tear into this for breakfast tomorrow:

No comments: